Thursday, November 5, 2009

The First Taste of Goodbyes...

I’ve handed in my last assignment, taken my Hindi finals, packed my bags, and said goodbye for now to my host family. All of the major “To Dos” are crossed off. I am going to the capital of India for one month by myself to research and write on a fascinating subject. I am gaining independence and adding another city to my list. I am even producing a research project for my portfolio. So why this pesky feeling?

I know why. Because I’ve handed in my last assignment, taken my Hindi finals, packed my bags, and said goodbye for now to my host family. All of the major “To Dos” are crossed off. I am going to the capital of India for one month by myself to research and write on a fascinating subject. I am gaining independence and adding another city to my list. I am even producing a research project for my portfolio.

This means leaving the nest all over again, so who wouldn’t be nervous? The routine I’ve had for the last two months is gone, and that means so are my teachers and staff (for the time being). I am also saying goodbye to the 15 girls who’ve been with me through the ups and downs of this crazy experience, and the family I’ve shared a home with. Who will tell me how much a rickshaw ride from the mall to the cinema should cost? Who will walk to Café Coffee day with me after class? Who will meet me in the Old City for shopping on a Saturday? Who will give me the name of the best tailor in the city? Who will talk me down when I am thinking about all of the readings we have due? Who will I talk down? What 15 girls will get ridiculously excited over a new jar of peanut butter with me? We all knew when we signed up for this program that there was an independent study project awaiting us, but what we didn’t count on was the dependency we would come to have on each other. They truly are my security blanket: we are there for each other through every small victory, outrageous cultural difference, funny story, and bad day. It is going to be a major adjustment living in a big city without them, but at the same time, I know this will be an incredibly rewarding experience culturally, academically and personally. And most of all, I know that THEY WILL BE THERE WHEN I GET BACK. Until that glorious one week reunion in December, I will save up my humorous stories and cultural challenges, and I know that they will do the same for me. But we won’t talk about the real goodbyes that will shortly follow when we all return home to the states, because that is just too much to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment